Monday, March 30, 2009

Do you ever wonder....

what your neighbors are doing?

I do.

Are they watching a lot of tv? Doing religious studies? Plotting against the neighborhood homeowner's association? Making bombs? Growing some hash? Quilting for charity? Getting wasted? Parked in front of the computer? Having intellectual conversation?

If I could be a fly on the wall.... Well, I wouldn't want to watch any nasty business going on. But, do the adults act like the family from It's a Wonderful Life or the Munster's? Is the Cleaver family living it up somewhere in my neighborhood? Or are the teenagers all distant and scowling in their rooms, the parents cussing the teenagers for not taking care of the chores, the little kids being tended to or are they just running amuck?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a window peeper. But, hey if the blinds are open at night and I'm strolling past.... I'll turn my head to steal a looksie. I also love to see how my neighbors decorate their houses. What kinds of drapes they have, if any; the shape of their furniture; are they contemporary or traditional...that sort of thing.

Granted, I don't want to hear any fighting or screaming. I don't want to hear their dog(s) bark on and on for hours at a time, or hear them bouncing a freaking ball for thirty minutes straight. I want my neighbors to be peaceful. I guess I'm like an old lady already in that department.

If I had a big front porch, with a wonderful swing, I'd sit and swing for the entire evening during the nice weather months, even during thunder storms. Watching the cars go by and the active neighbors take their walks and such. But, I can't sit like that in my backyard. The dogs get bored. I get bored. Unless the neighbors behind me have their horses out and I can watch them run around. But mostly they just eat. Or unless Hubby or The Little Guy will sit and chat with me.

You know what's even more weird about me? I don't even really visit with my neighbors. I wave from a distance. Smile as I pass by with a casual "hello" on occasion. Conversations are rare. And I like it that way. I'm nosy from a distance, and often only in my mind, and I expect my neighbors to be the same.

What do you wonder about at home?